In The Hands of An Angry God


Ellen J. Barrier/Author/Spirituality Counselor 


God introduces himself to his people:


Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? When I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water and dieth for thirst.
I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering.
But I am the Lord thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared:
Reference:
(Isaiah 50:2, 3 & 51:15)

Expresses Disappointment With His People:
I, even I, am he that comforteth you: Who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass;
And forgettest the Lord thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, as if he were ready to destroy? And where is the fury of the oppressor?
Reference:
(Isaiah 51:12,13)

How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieved him in the desert! (Psalm 78:40)
Who can stand before his indignation? And who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him. (Nahum 1:6)

Detailed Plan for Punishment:
These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thee? Desolation, and destruction, and the famine, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee? (Isaiah 51:19)

Famine and the Economy
I have smitten you with blasting and mildew:
When your gardens and your vineyards and your fig trees and your olive trees increased, the palmerworm devoured them: yet have ye not return unto me, saith the Lord.
I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt: your young men have I slain with the sword and have taken away your horses; and I have made the stink of your camp to come up into your nostrils: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the Lord.

For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declared unto men what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The Lord, The God of host is his name.
(Amos 4:9,10,13)

The Cause of God’s Anger against Man:
I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; Behold, it is written before me; I will not keep silence, but will recompense, even recompense into their bosom, your iniquities, and the iniquities of your fathers together, saith the Lord, which have burned incense upon the mountains, and blasphemed me upon the hills; therefore will I measure their former work into their bosom.
Reference:
(Isaiah 65:2,3,6,7)

To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentille;
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
Reference:
(Romans 2:7-10)
If my people, which are called by my name, will humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
(II Chronicles 7:14)

The grass withereth the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. (Isaiah 40:8)
For there is no respect of persons with God. (Romans 2:11)

Biblical Disasters:
And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven. (Revelation 11:13)

The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan and covered the company of Abiram. And a fire was kindled in their company; the flame burned up the wicked. (Psalm 106:17,18)

And what he did unto Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, the son of Reuben: how the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households and their tents, and all the substance that was in their possession, in the midst of all Israel;

But your eyes have seen all the great acts of the Lord which he did.

Therefore, shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye maybe strong, and go in and possess the land, whither ye go to possess it.

And that ye may prolong your days in the land, which the Lord sware unto your fathers to give unto them and to their seed, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
Reference:
(Deuteronomy 11:6-9)

                                                                 

TitleHow To Trust God When All Other Resources Have Failed
ISBN: 978-0-9794043-0-6
Copyright© 1994
Authors: George C. Barrier Sr., & Ellen J. Barrier
Price: $15.75
Book Description: http://barriersbooks.com/bookstore.html

Payment Method: Check or Money Order

Barrier's Books & Associates
P.O. Box 12269
Wichita, Kansas 67277-2269 


No comments:

Post a Comment